Last week saw the release of my latest book called The House at Greenacres. It’s the first book in a new Cornish series and I loved writing the story.
When I’m plotting a romance novel, one of the things I have to consider is what trope or tropes I would like to include. Often, the tropes come organically from the characters themselves and their backgrounds. With The House at Greenacres, I had a vision of the main character, Holly, returning to Penhallow Sands for a funeral, emotional and anxious, clutching a baby to her chest. This developed into the knowledge that Holly and her ex boyfriend, Rich, have been separated for some reason, and now, the thing that brings them back together is Holly’s grandfather’s funeral. I enjoy mixing tropes in my stories, so I combined the lovers reunited trope with the secret baby trope. I also wanted to write a story about what it’s like to come home after time away, about how emotional it can be to return to the place where you grew up and to see it from a different perspective.
As I wrote the story, I listened to music that developed my understanding of the characters and what they were going through. Here are some of the songs that inspired me:
- Lady Gaga – Always Remember Us This Way – https://youtu.be/5vheNbQlsyU
- Calum Scott – You are the Reason – https://youtu.be/ShZ978fBl6Y
- Natalie Cole – Wild Women Do –https://youtu.be/MuAHV8ybdeY
- LeAnn Rimes – Can’t Fight the Moonlight –https://youtu.be/MIF8nvl1xHw
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling – https://youtu.be/ru0K8uYEZWw
- Pharell Williams – Happy – https://youtu.be/y6Sxv-sUYtM
- Maroon 5 – Sugar – https://youtu.be/09R8_2nJtjg
- Keith Urban – Coming Home – https://youtu.be/iC7wWFQUUqU
I hope you enjoy The House at Greenacres and decide to return to Penhallow Sands soon!
Love, Darcie X